A mighty spout just to the right of the ship's rail followed by a wet, shiny body on the surface of the sea. The whale is floating on the surface and resting. Then it raises its back and slaps its huge tail fin. Finished with its show for now, it dives for food, while the waiting time is used to look through the photos until it pops up again.
To experience a whale romping alone or together with its fellow
species requires more than words. It must be experienced on
location. The equipment is simple; binoculars, suitable clothing
and plenty of patience, which is well rewarded, because suddenly
the captain shouts "whale ahead" - a single whale or a pod of the
Typical encounters when whale watching are with humpback whales, minke whales and fin whales, but occasionally also blue whales, killer whales, narwhals, beluga whales, sperm whales, pilot whales and Greenland whales that all live in Greenland's waters. The most patient have had three to four species sighted in their binoculars on the same day.
1. To enter the competition you must be 18 or over
and be a Danish citizen.
2. Participants must register on the website to enter. Participants who register with incorrect information are not eligible to win the competition.
3. When you participate in the campaign, you grant Visit Greenland the right to send weekly e-mails during the campaign period (5 weeks). If at any time during the course of the campaign you do not want to take part in the competition, you can unsubscribe in the newsletter you receive.
4. The campaign ends on 4 November 2012. 2 winners will be drawn for a trip for 2. Winners will be contacted directly via e-mail within 5 days of the competition closing.
5. Winners of the trip agree to supply video and photo material from the trip. The winners can borrow a pocket HD video/still camera from Visit Greenland, but they can also use their own camera for filming.
Please provide the following: Video: Raw video clips in HD quality in lengths from a few seconds up to several minutes, depending on the theme/subject. The scenes should preferably be of the types of experiences that fall under the Big Arctic Five (Northern Lights, Whales, Ice, Dog sledding, Pioneering people). There is no fixed amount of footage, but please provide 15-45 minutes of footage in total. Photos: Provide photos in high resolution of subjects that fall within the Big Arctic Five. Please provide at least 20 good quality images (no shaking and with the appropriate subject centred and in focus). Video and photo files are to be sent to Visit Greenland within 14 days after returning from the trip, either through an ftp service (such as yousendit.com) or on a physical digital media (USB key or external hard drive) to Visit Greenland, Strandgade 91, DK-1401 Copenhagen K. Visit Greenland, Air Greenland and the travel agency that is sponsoring the trip, can use the material for marketing purposes.
6. It is not permitted for employees or relatives of employees of Visit Greenland to enter in the competition.
7. Participants can opt to receive a newsletter by e-mail from Visit Greenland, Air Greenland and Greenland Travel. The newsletters contain travel tips, news about Greenland's travel destinations, events, travel deals and related services from business partners. This is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
8. It is free to enter the competition, except the usual Internet costs.
9. The competition has five rounds where each week you answer three questions on a topic from the Big Arctic Five. The more rounds of the competition you enter, the greater your chances are of winning. You get one entry per round that you enter. Correct answers to the questions are not required in order to enter in the competition.
10. Prize details: There are two prizes in the competition sponsored by Disko Line, Polar Travel as well as Air Greenland .
Prize 1: A 9-day trip to Greenland for two people - "Midnight Sun and Icebergs" - with Polar Travel. Departure dates: 6/6, 19/6, 10/7, 24/7 or 21/8 2013. Value: DKK 45,700. Read more about the trip at Polarrejser.com
Prize 2: A 7-day trip to Greenland for two people - To Disko Bay on the lookout for whales and icebergs - with Disko Line + return flights from Copenhagen - Ilulissat (with Air Greenland ). Value: Up to DKK 28,600. Read more about Disko Line's part of the trip at Diskoline.gl
General terms of the prizes: Providers of the prizes/trips cannot be held responsible for any unforeseen events such as cancelled flights or overbooking. The prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash. Dates can be subject to change. The winner must arrange their own transportation to and from the airport in their home country. It is the winner's responsibility to arrive at the appointed place at the appointed time. If the winners do not use the booked departure or arrive late to the airport, they lose the right to the whole trip. You may not necessarily see all of the Big Arctic Five on the same trip to Greenland.
Visit Greenland reserves the right to disqualify any person suspected of having lied, acted dishonestly or otherwise attempting to circumvent the rules of the competition.
Personal details Any information submitted during registration and collected during the campaign will be only be used in a manner consistent with the participants' given consent when they signed up.